Friday, August 22, 2008

A neat Carulli Andante for you to finger

Last session we looked at a Ferdinand Carulli prelude. I have been sorting through and editing a great deal of Carulli, Sor, Coste and Giuliani -- the early pedagogists and masters of the guitar. Like I said last time, these guys knew the instrument and knew how to write educational compositions that are both enlightening as well as entertaining.



Below is a small piece from the Carulli Method simply entitled 'Andante'.  It is totally unfingered. You must add your own right and left hand fingerings. In an appendix to my method, I have another copy of the piece with my fingering suggestions. Once the you have completed fingering the piece, you can compare their efforts with my suggestions.





The left hand is very, very straight forward. Note measure 36. Here I would play the D with the third finger and the B with the first, leaving the fourth finger free for the F# later in the measure and making a good set up for measure 37. That is a good example of how one must approach the left hand in this piece -- always conscious of where the music is going, not just where you're sitting at the moment.



Right hand? I would recommend that the student tries it two (maybe more) ways. First, the natural p for bass notes with i and m plucking the treble/thirds portions. Second, try combinations of i and a and m and a for some variety Keep the thumb working the bass notes though. Of course, some combinations will not work in some measures, but, hey, get creative.

No comments:

  ©

Back to TOP