Friday, August 22, 2008

Villa-Lobos Prelude One

Heitor Villa-Lobos' Prelude One

Let's start at the beginning and look at Prelude One in E Minor. The opening begins with what has been described as a "cello-like" line and tone performed upon the fifth and fourth strings with a harmonization executed on the trebles. New players beware: the melody in the bass takes prominence, not the accompaniment!

clip_image001

clip_image001[4]

clip_image001[6]

clip_image001[8]

Please note the tempo markings and accents added. I think I may have scribbled in the vibrato markings and their releases. Looks like my poor handwriting. I was told to rasgueado the chords in the 3/8 section although it looks like a thumb might do the trick. I like the Spanish flair of the rasg. Personal taste. I tend to play the following eighth note chord and harmonic almost staccato. Personal taste again. Try it and see what you come up with. There is no wrong answer!

No comments:

  ©

Back to TOP